Sunday, July 15, 2012

Gecko Book and Comics



Address: 1151 12th Avenue  Honolulu, HI 


Having lived in Hawaii for about the past 2 years I've made it around to every shop on the island EXCEPT for Gecko Books and Comics. Why? Eh, it wasn't as close as the other stores and I thought that I had already found the best store on the Island. 


If only I could go back in time and slap my past self for not coming here sooner. 


Gecko's is the BEST comic store on Oahu and one of the finer stores I have been in period. It's in a very scenic and busy area of Honolulu off of 12th near the south east side of the island (you reach Makapuu, you've gone too far). Parking can be a bit of a beast, but there is a paid lot just up street near Center which only costs .75 an hour. From there, you're only looking at a couple block walk. 


The store is an absolute treasure trove of comics. Ample new issues, INCREDIBLE Trade Paperback collection. I can't express how excellent the Trade Paperback selection is. Current stuff, tons of essentials, and Trades divided by AUTHOR (which I've never seen before). 


The only downside of the store is the lack of back issues. They do have some cool issues (first appearance of Galactus, Punisher, etc etc) but they do not have lines of comic boxes with older issues. So this isn't the place to go to fill holes in your collection. 


Aside from Super Hero stuff, the store has quite a variety of indie Graphic Novels and Trades. Additionally there are is a good selection of Anime' and a slightly smaller area for paperback novels (gross, no pictures!).


Toys, Statues, Magic, and other collectibles are all over the place at Geckos. I've been here twice now and I'm still finding new stuff. 


If you visit Hawaii, please, please, please, please go visit Geckos. You'll find something worthy to read on the beaches. 


Rating: Excelsior!

1 comment: